Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Artist Spotlight: Kendrick Lamar

I've got to admit, since the XXL Freshman concert I attended last week i've kinda been on a Kendrick Lamar high. I've been listening to some form of his (O)verly (D)edicated mixtape daily, and even re-visited some old jams taking some time to download the Kendrick Lamar EP and see where the greatness all started. (Technically his career started at the age of 16 when he went by the name of K.Dot but I don't have the time or the hard-drive space to get all those tapes during that period lol)

Kendrick has come with straight HEAT as of late. Most recently, a track with him an Ab-Soul entitled "Rapper S***" off Ab-Soul's upcoming mixtape "Longterm Mentality." This is one of the greatest back & forth duo tracks i've heard since "The What" by Biggie and Method Man and/or anything involving Styles P and Jadakiss. Don't believe me? Please listen to the lyrical massacre that takes place below.

Ab-Soul & Kendrick Lamar - Rapper Shit (unreleased) prod. by Tommy Black by TopDawgENT

Also, Consequence recently came out with a heavily slept on tape "Movies on Demand 2" One of my favorite tracks on the tape entitled "Up Against The Wall" features brotha Lamar spitting one of my favorite verses that I've heard in 2011. The subject matter is also dope with Cons, Roc Marciano, and Kendrick going bar for bar exchanging tales about the ills of police brutality. I have deemed this my LD Jam of the Week so please take a moment to listen. Turn it up loud, but make sure the cops aint around

Up Against The Wall co-starring Roc Marciano & Kendrick Lamar by Consequence

No comments:

Post a Comment