Monday, January 24, 2011

Is Lil B Actually Good?

Unless you've been under a rock for the past 5-6 months there's no way you haven't heard of the bay area artist Lil B aka the self-proclaimed "Based God." Outside of coming up with multiple reasons for why women are on his genitalia, Lil B has taken the Internet by storm. Over 100,000 followers on Twitter, YouTube videos that average at least 1/2 a million hits, and an infamous claim that he would give Kanye West the Kobe treatment if he didn't "give him his respect"

So how has Lil B come such an overnight sensation? How did he get invited to the coveted Coachella Music Festival? And an even better question how he is the SECOND most anticipated hip-hop act behind Kanye West. (No..I didn't just make that up, take a look for yourself)

The answer is simple...The Based God is a genius, and he has fooled you all.
Around 2006, a little-known bay-area group known as The Pack rode the momentum of E-40's "Tell me When To Go" & landed a huge hit with their ode to skateboard footwear called Vans. Remember this?


If you notice Lil B spits his verse right at the beginning of the song. He's actually rapping on beat, no references to "ho** on his d***", all summing up to a relatively forgettable verse. As a fan of The Pack for years, Lil B actually never stood out as the star of the group. I always felt that if anyone from the group would ever get the chance to blow it would be Lil Uno (pictured below)

Uno had the swag, charisma, and looks that it took to be a star. He also appeared to be label boss Too $hort's favorite, allowing Lil Uno more solo songs than his group counterparts. Naturally, the bay area music wave died down and those who weren't from the "Yay" dismissed The Pack as a one-hit wonder.

So how did the least talented member of a dying  group come back four years later and become one of the most talked about figures in hip-hop? He did it the American way...he captured our attention by acting as ignorant and crazy as humanly possible.

I can personally admit I was a victim. After watching the poorly shot video for "Su** My D*** Hoe" I fell off my couch in laughter. It was one of the most ridiculous things I'd ever seen. Within 30 seconds he had named off multiple reasons for why all the women wanted him including my favorite claim "Because he looks like Matlock." So then I sat in my house on a Saturday afternoon and saw that he had a new mixtape that dropped called "Evil Red Flame" The cover looked like a bootleg attempt at re-creating Juve's 400 Degreez album art (peep), so I knew I was in for a hilarious treat. I downloaded the mixtape and the first thing I heard was him spittin over John Legend's "Let Get Lifted Again"

I was shocked. I was expecting straight foolishness, and was welcomed with a smooth intro featuring one of my favorite songs off "Get Lifted." So I listened and listened some more, and the beats on the tape were actually bangin. He had captured me, I was a victim to the Based God.

Now let's be clear, Lil B doesn't offer much lyrically. Half the time he even struggles to rap on beat. But when focusing on serious topics such as the death of his close friends, being broke on the street, and feeling alone in the world, there's a pain behind his voice that can't be denied.

So to answer the question is Lil B actually good, for now the answer is No, he has a long way to go. But he is a master of branding, who has found a way to hold rap in the palm of his based hands by mastering ways to market himself on the Internet. With Lil B's ear for beats he actually has the potential to be a pretty good artist. And now that he's got our attention, let's see what he has to offer. His music makes us laugh, it makes us cry, and it has us all in each of our respective homes hittin the "Cookin dance". We love you Lil B, #thankyoubasedgod

Note: Peep "LD's Jam of the Week" to see when Lil B gets it right. Take a look below to see when Lil B gets it wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment